11.07.2011

11.09.11 Releases

After a couple of crazy weeks contending with The New 52, things seem to have settled back into normal. This list is probably more representative of my typical buying habits. The gem of the week is Batwoman #3 (DC) from JH Williams III and company. I’m really enjoying this second season, particularly the inclusion of DEO Agent Cameron Chase. I also wanted to point out Vertigo Resurrected: My Faith in Frankie #1 (DC). This is hands down one of my favorite little mini-series of all time. It reprints all 4 issues (96 pages) for just $7.99. DC reprinted it once in a little digest-sized format, but that was in black and white and the lack of color really lost something, so I’d recommend this option. Mike Carey, Sonny Liew, and Mark Hempel delivered a self-contained story that is simultaneously adventurous, fun, dark, fits nicely in the Vertigo stable because of how it uses lesser deities, and is surprisingly frank about sexuality and non-traditional relationships. This was like Minx before they tried Minx. I’ll also be picking up Uncanny X-Force #17 (Marvel). On a related note, I’ll be sad to see Warren Ellis leave Secret Avengers, but I heard Rick Remender will be coming on board that title, so I’m glad to see Marvel using him more. Lastly, Terry Moore’s Rachel Rising #3 (Abstract Studio) is also out. I’m not as enamored of it as I was Echo, but it’s still worth checking out.

3 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

So, that's a reprint of the whole mini-series of My Faith in Frankie, not just a new issue? The #1 made it sound like a new single issue at first. Funny, I'd always been sort of curious about that book when it came out but I have no good excuse for not picking it up. Maybe I'll give this a whirl if my LCS carries it. Good lookin' out, Justin! :)

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 
At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heya thanks for plugging MFIF! :):

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Hey Ryan,

Yup, that reprints all 4 issues. These "Vertigo Resurrected" books are a bit misleading since they include the #1 bit, but usually they collect mini-series or key arcs of various books. You should check it out! I think you'd dig it.

And Sonny, thanks for stopping by! I replied to your email offline regarding possibly reviewing Malinky Robot!

Thanks guys,

Justin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home