7.20.2009

Coming This Week: San Diego On The Brain, Phonomancer Delight, and X-Maybe

Every week I review Diamond's “New Releases” to determine what I’ll definitely be buying sight unseen, what I’m interested in enough to do a quick scan of at the LCS to see if it can win me over, and note any other items that catch my eye. Here’s a look…

Buying:

Wednesday Comics #3 (DC): I’m really looking to the next couple of issues to see if the stories materialize into something meaningful or if this is all just an academic exercise fueled by my longing for Paul Pope’s pretty pictures.

Invincible Iron Man #14 (Marvel): Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca keep plugging away at one of the best comics Marvel is currently managing to publish.

Considering:

Phonogram 2: The Singles Club #4 (Image): If this hums with the same sort of glee that last issue did, it will end up getting purchased.

X-Force #17 (Marvel): Sigh. I’m so on the fence with this book. I sort of enjoy it when it’s there, but I don’t think I’d miss it if it were to quietly slip away in the night.

Noting:

While I applaud the price point of 100 Bullets: Vertigo Crime Sampler #1 (DC/Vertigo), I already own the contents of 100 Bullets #1 and I just saw a preview of Ian Rankin’s Dark Entries for free in DMZ #43, so why would I spend a dollar just for a couple pages of Filthy Rich? Is that really all there is in this issue? Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance #3 (DC) would have been bought if I hadn’t been soured by the change in artists on the second issue. Blade of the Immortal: Volume 21 (Dark Horse) made me say “wow.” Is it already on Volume 21?! I owned about the first 8 volumes or so at one point, and then just sold them off for space. If I can find these cheap this week, maybe I’ll get caught up. Pleasantly surprised to see Flight: Volume 6 already out, but is anyone still paying attention to this? I bought the first two or something and then tuned out. Mouse Guard HC Volume 2: Winter 1152 (Archaia) is sure to be a pretty package and I’ve only read an issue or two of this second series so I’m looking forward to reading the complete content for the first time, but I might as well just get it signed from David Petersen at this point. Along those lines, You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation! looks like mad fun as it completes the Paul Karasik helmed Fletcher Hanks extravaganza, but I’m hoping I can get some sort of package deal directly from Fantagraphics by buying it along with I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets! Overall, it seems like a very small week, typical for this time of year due to that little get together happening down at the convention center in a couple of days.

2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Paul Karasik said...

mmm... I like your idea about a Fletcher Hanks package deal from Fantagraphics for my books. I will speak to them about this.

In the meantime I know that they are giving away an exclusive Fletcher Hanks coloring book with a super-cool cover by charles Burns to those who purchase "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation"

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for stopping by! Well heck, I'll probably buy it in any case for the coloring book, that sounds like fun, but keep us posted on the package for both if possible!

Best,

Justin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home