6.07.2010

6.03.10 Reviews

Demo #5 (DC/Vertigo): I can't say that I had time to fully absorb this issue, though I did read it over the course of three sporadic bursts. Becky Cloonan's art looks better than ever, with a level of intricate detail I don't think we've seen from her before. What I recall the most about Brian Wood's script is that it seemed to subtly buck most time-travel trends in pop fiction and the inherent paradoxes contained within. I'm looking forward to a time when I can really dive into this, not distracted by work and personal happenings. I couldn't resist posting something. I suspect this could actualy go higher once I wrap my brain around it, but for now let's call it... Grade A.

I also picked up;

The Killer: Modus Vivendi #2 (Archaia): Man, I haven't had a chance to read this yet. As usual, it looks fantastic and there really isn't anything like it on the stands. I haven't missed a weekly post in nearly five years now. This is probably the closest I've ever come to blowing it off completely. Hopefully this will suffice until your regularly scheduled programming resumes.

Tales Designed to Thrizzle #6 (Fantagraphics): I've always heard great things about this Michael Kupperman book, but I admit I've never picked up an issue before. Since Sea Donkey owed me some money, I decided it was time to correct that. I'm really looking forward to experiencing it.

Moving Pictures (Top Shelf): Kathryn and Stuart Immonen's OGN about Nazi art heists intermingled with quirky romance isn't illustrated as... "Nextwave-y" as I was hoping for, but I really couldn't resist the premise, the clever title, and the beautiful cover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home