6.28.2010

Coming This Week: "Third Prize Is You're Fired"

This week I’m most looking forward to Northlanders #29 (DC/Vertigo) from Brian Wood and Fiona Staples, which is a one-shot before the Metal arc begins. Northlanders’ one-shots seem to always be something special. Metal looks like it’ll be quite interesting too, sort of a genre blender, like only Wood can do. I guess I’ll also be picking up Secret Avengers #2 (Marvel); it seems like three issues should be a good number to judge a new series by. I think Invincible Iron Man Annual #1 (Marvel) will be entertaining; it sounds like Matt Fraction doing a Keyser Soze inspired rendition of The Mandarin. The House of Ideas also has something called Astonishing X-Men #34 (Marvel) coming this week. Oh… is this still being published? I think I remember a book from Warren Ellis and Phil Jimenez that last shipped 6(!) months ago bearing that title. Speaking of lateness, coming in just 3 months late is Captain Swing & The Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island #2 (Avatar Press) from Warren Ellis and Raulo Caceres. I really do enjoy Warren Ellis’ writing, but one certainly begins to see a pattern forming with all of these quickly started and then abruptly delayed projects. On the collected edition front, I might just pick up Batwoman: Elegy Deluxe Edition HC (DC) from Greg Rucka and JH Williams III. If it’s not marred by any non-Williams issues or that detestable back-up feature, this is just special enough to warrant a swanky hardcover on my shelf, and I can pass those single issues on to someone deserving.

6 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Matt Clark said...

You're not the only one who's noticed Ellis' erratic output of late. Supergod? Doktor Sleepless?! And don't get me started on newuniversal!

I suppose it would also be too much to ask for further issues of Fell and Desolation Jones as well?

He's unarguably one of the best writers in the business, but he does seem to suffer from some form of ADD when it comes to the projects he works on. It's like, if he gets bored he drops them like a stone whether he's finished the story or not.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Yup, I couldn't agree more. Even older stuff like, remember Tokyo Storm Warning? I would love more issues of Desolation Jones as well. That second arc with Danijel Zezelj got two issues out, and then was MIA for years!

I think you might be on to something with the ADD, like a great idea flashes in his brain, it gets pitched, an issue or two comes out, the critics love it, then... he's off to the next brain flash and you wait years in some cases for the wrap up, if it ever comes at all!

I think I read on his web-site that he is working on the next ish of Fell, but who knows when that'll see the light of day. I realize "good art" takes time, but dude, it's getting ridiculous.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Matt Clark said...

And in what other profession would he get away with it?

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

That's an interesting comparison. I know if I was consistently late with projects at my day job, I'd eventually be let go.

It presents an interesting dilemma to us, as consumers of his product. We keep buying his books because they entertain, yet if we were voting with our wallets, we'd have to start boycotting his work until there was such a ground swell of public outcry that publishers took note.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Matt Clark said...

It is a unique situation, I think. He's not quite at the Alan Moore level, but he's one of a select few writers that we 'allow' to be consistently late and slack because when their stuff eventually arrives its in a class of its own.

I would like to see a crowd of boycotters outside his house with placards reading "More Doktor Sleepless!" and "Where is newuniversal?" though.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Haha! Desolation Jones for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home