1.30.2012

2.01.12 Releases

I’m excited for Dark Horse Presents #8 (Dark Horse) this week, which features the first installment of Brian Wood and Kristian Donaldson’s The Massive. If I understand correctly, there will be 3 prequel style stories in DHP #8-10, leading us into the regular ongoing series which begins toward summer. I think it’ll be a spiritual successor to the recently wrapped DMZ over at DC/Vertigo. Be sure to pick up the Donaldson cover too, since he’s a friend of the site. I’ll also be picking up Uncanny X-Force #21 (Marvel), though my faith in the title has slipped a bit. I generally liked the inclusion of the Captain Britain Corps last issue, but some of Remender’s flashycool style seemed to be absent, and I also found Tocchini’s art to be a little muddled. I’m hoping it autocorrects so I can wholeheartedly recommend the title again, as I did in the Jerome Opena arcs, rather than considering dropping it. I’ll also probably give Winter Soldier #1 (Marvel) a flip. I haven’t paid much attention to Brubaker’s Cap/Marvel work, but the premise looks interesting, the cover is great (too bad that’s not the interior artist), and I’m up for trying new #1 issues to see if I can buy more than just 2 Marvel books regularly, both of which (Uncanny X-Force and Secret Avengers) have slipped in quality recently.

2 Comments:

At 5:56 AM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

Really looking forward to jumping on The Massive. With the creative team assembled for this title, it looks pretty darned promising.

Anxious,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Yes!

Although, $7.99 for 3 issues of DHP in which I'm really only interested in one story is quite steep, but I'm willing to do it for a BW/KD story, and hopefully will be pleasantly surprised with some of the other shorts in the anthology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home