4.11.2012

4.11.12 Reviews (Oni Press Edition)

Wasteland #36 (Oni Press): This book makes me feel greedy! I mean, it makes me yearn for the eventual collected edition, single installments are just not enough of a fix. When I get toward the end of an issue, I feel myself slowing down, savoring every line and not wanting it to end. So, Marcus wants Gerr to kill Michael and Abi if they find A-Ree-Yass-I. Yeah, I'm wondering why? I mean, has anyone really asked that question? Why would he want that? That means there's some truth there that threatens him, some resource there that could shift the balance of power, some bit of knowledge that incriminates him, or... what? It's something. And now, Abi knows that Marcus sent Gerr after them because of what she found. Anyway, I keep really liking Abi's physical prowess, in addition to her healing powers. I keep really liking the subtleties of Michael, but also his telekinetic(?) ability, and how there's such a biblical overlay of all these things. The Ankya Ofsteen journal entries keep getting more and more interesting, and I'm starting to feel like they're going to intersect with the main narrative(?) and if (when?) that happens, all hell is going to break loose, or a million questions will be answered. It's strange to think that issue 40 is right around the corner, meaning that the book will be 2/3rd into its planned run. I've reviewed every issue of this book, and if I haven't sold you by now, then that ain't me, that's on you. Wasteland is one of the most unique books ever crafted. Everything about it is special. Grade A.

Courtney Crumrin #1 (Oni Press): First of all, man, this looks absolutely beautiful in color. The Special Edition HC of the first arc also looked great in color, and I loved the matte paper quality, I came *this* close to buying it, even though I've already read the content. Overall, I thought this was a great intro to Courtney (if you haven't read her before) through the eyes of a POV new girl character. Perhaps Ted Naifeh's greatest strength (I mean, in addition to his ridiculous artistic ability) is that he can write kids really well. It's such a tough thing to do, making them intelligent with slight attitude, without making them annoying or unbelievable. And making them self-aware, without being precocious. He pulls it all off, making everything flow so well, the voice over, the visuals, and the dialogue. The book was rocking 90% of the time. The small 10% that chipped away at my confidence in the title, ever so slightly, was that I thought the turn of Holly Hart was pretty much telegraphed. I anticipated it, and because of that, was wishing that she became a true friend. I thought Holly could have played Willow to Courtney's Buffy pretty well, she could have created her own Scooby Gang, and when that didn't come to pass, I was annoyed that I had accurately predicted the direction the plot did take. The only other thing, and I admit this is fairly petty, was that Goblin Town smacked of Harry Potter's Diagon Alley. This is largely a win though, finally a title that makes me want to hand it right over to my daughter. Grade A-.

3 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

So, wait, is this old Courtney material (big fan, here) reprinted in color, or is this all new work?

Inquiring, albeit lazy, minds want to know!

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

My fault for talking about both books in the review...

This is NEW material from a new ONGOING series. But...

Oni is ALSO republishing the old B&W material in NEW swanky FULL COLOR hardcovers, the first of which also came out yesterday!

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

Oh, man! All this is exciting news. Thanks for keeping me informed, Justin.

BTW, I was going to say that CC&tNT (1st Courtney Series) predated any of the HP franchise movies, but with a bit of research, it looks like I was proved wrong. The first HP flick dropped in late 2001 with Naifeh's disgruntled damsel published in 2002. So, while I have not proof, I suppose Goblin Town could have potentially had some influence (inadvertent or intentional) from Harry Potter's Diagon Alley. To me, they both look very victorian influenced, but it would be an interesting question to ask ole' Theo. He's always set up at Comic-Con. With your dwindling interest in the San Diego spectacle, maybe that can be your quest this year: question Ted Naifeh. :)

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home