9.15.2014

9.17.14 [#BookOfTheWeek]

#BookOfTheWeek is brought to you with generous support from my retail sponsor Yesteryear Comics. Make Yesteryear Comics your first and only destination in San Diego for great customer service and the best discounts possible on a wide selection of mainstream and independent titles. Customers receive an attractive 20% discount on new titles during their first week of release. Yesteryear Comics is located at 9353 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.

It’s another very solid week (especially if you’re a Warren Ellis fan) with Supreme: Blue Rose #3 and Trees #5 both arriving in stores. I’m also really looking forward to The Wicked + The Divine #4 with its pop myth quasi-religious treatment regarding the fickle nature of fame. There’s also Hemingway stealing the show in The Life After #3 by Gabo and Joshua Hale Fialkov (a writer I’m paying more attention to lately), in addition to Rick Remender and Wes Craig’s Deadly Class #7. I’m curious to see George Perez’s Sirens #1. I grew up on Perez art in New Teen Titans and it really informed my adult likes, so I’m hoping it rises above the slightly pandering and gratuitous vibe I get from the teaser images. For my money, the book of the week will be Manifest Destiny #10. Chris Dingess and Matthew Roberts have created a perfect blend of historical speculative fiction surrounding Lewis & Clark’s expedition being a classified mission to address mysterious forces, and art rendered in a style rustic and believable, with intense action and some of the best coloring happening in the industry today at the hands of Owen Gieni. It’s still a few months off, but I’m fairly certain this title will stand as one of my picks for best of the year. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home