2.09.2010

Coming This Week: "I Done It With A Doctor, On A Helicopter"

Diamond’s web-site is all kinds of jacked up this week due to East Coast snow, so don’t hold me to the reliability of what exactly is shipping this week. My short list here is cobbled together from a couple of different sources. Dark Horse is putting out a new edition of Rafael Grampa’s fantastic Mesmo Delivery, which was previously published by AdHouse. I picked this up two years ago at the San Diego Con and enjoyed it immensely. For just $9.99, it’s highly recommended for anyone who missed it the first time around. Grampa is a major talent; after Mesmo Delivery, he contributed to the Eisner Award winning book “5” with Becky Cloonan, Fabio Moon, Gabriel Ba, and Vasilis Lolos, in addition to Hellblazer #250 (DC/Vertigo). He also has Furry Water (Dark Horse) coming later this year, which looks fantastic. Also of note is the Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. Ultimate Collection (Marvel). I already have the two Premiere Edition Hardcovers that came out, collecting all 12 issues of this series by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen, so there would have to be some mighty extras included in this edition in order for me to spend $34.99, but the series is fantastic nonetheless. Also from Marvel is the penultimate issue of (recently announced as cancelled with issue #5) S.W.O.R.D. #4. I have some issues with the book, but will probably ride it out just to see how Kieron Gillen and Steven Saunders wrap things up. The unofficial Brian Wood month continues with the landmark DMZ #50 (DC/Vertigo), which includes a plethora of guest contributors, ranging from Dave Gibbons and Jim Lee to Ryan Kelly and Rebekah Issacs (DV8). Also hitting the stands is Daytripper #3 (DC/Vertigo) from Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. The first issue seemed a bit uneven, but began to settle in nicely with the second. Batman & Robin #8 (DC) is also due out, quickly it seems, featuring Grant Morrison and the second of three issues with Cameron Stewart.

2 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Matt Clark said...

I did try to get along with Nextwave, I really did, but while everyone else I know went mad for it I just felt it was a case of Ellis trying too hard for laughs. It came across as a bit forced for me.

Maybe I'll give it another shot down the line. Perhaps when I've nothing else to read (but like that's ever going to happen!!).

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Wow, surprised to hear that, Matt. I think it's one of his better pieces, of course you have to really adjust your mindset to it being a silly tongue-in-cheek romp. Sometimes it's so ridiculous it makes you groan, so mood is key!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home